It's a New Day in Public Health.
The Florida Department of Health works to protect, promote & improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county & community efforts.
Florida Asthma Program
The Florida Asthma Program coordinates statewide efforts to reduce asthma disparities and hospitalization rates as well as increase the number of people with asthma receiving self-management education. The program takes a comprehensive approach to preventing and reducing asthma disparities in Florida by following an integrated approach as set forth by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention National Asthma Control Program. Programmatic initiatives have been developed and integrated into the three component areas: partnerships, surveillance, and interventions.
The goals of the Florida Asthma Program are to:
- Develop, manage, track, and analyze a uniform set of asthma health status indicators that are derived from a variety of sources and accommodate state and local asthma related data needs through the statewide asthma surveillance system.
- Engage community partners to increase community readiness to identify gaps in the delivery of asthma-related programs and services to improve Florida’s existing asthma system of care.
- Promote and expand quality asthma self-management education and reduce exposure to asthma triggers through a home-visiting environmental assessment.
- Facilitate the statewide asthma coalition, Florida Asthma Coalition (FAC), to eliminate asthma disparities, improve quality of life, and reduce costs.
- Increase public awareness of the importance of reducing the burden of asthma and the need for supportive policies and environments.
Florida Asthma Plan 2015-2019
The intent of the Florida Asthma Plan 2015-2019 is to serve as the detailed blueprint for how efforts and resources can be combined to strengthen the collective capacity in Florida to lessen the burden of asthma and improve the quality of life for Floridians living with asthma. Providing comprehensive care requires a stepwise approach consisting of various segments, such as asthma control and management and providing or linking those affected to healthcare services.