It's a New Day in Public Health.
The Florida Department of Health works to protect, promote & improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county & community efforts.
- What is Heart Disease?
- Risk Factors
- Warning Signs
- Protect Against Heart Disease
- Resources for Health Care Settings
- Resources for Community Organizations
- Resources for Community Health Workers
- Resources for Schools, Colleges, and Universities
- Resources for Worksites
- Heart Health+
- World Heart Day
Heart disease accounts for approximately 2 out of 10 deaths in Florida.1 In 2018 there were 80,402 coronary heart disease hospitalizations (including both angina and myocardial infarction) or an average of 220 coronary heart disease hospitalizations each day.2 In Florida, in 2017, 11% of adult persons with any disability reported ever having heart disease compared to 4% of adult persons with no disability.3 In the United States, more than half non-Hispanic black females and males had some form of cardiovascular disease, including heart disease and stroke in 2013-2016.4
Use the Heart Disease and Stroke widget below developed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to view data on heart disease and stroke death rates by race and gender in Florida and across the United States.
- Florida Department of Health (FDOH), Division of Public Health Statistics and Performance Management, Bureau of Community Health Assessment, Leading causes of death – 2018. Retrieved December 3, 2019, from: http://www.flhealthcharts.com/ChartsReports/rdPage.aspx?rdReport=ChartsProfiles.LeadingCausesOfDeathProfile
- FDOH, Division of Public Health Statistics and Performance Management, com, 2019. Hospitalizations from coronary heart disease. Retrieved December 3, 2019, from: http://www.flhealthcharts.com/charts/OtherIndicators/NonVitalIndDataViewer.aspx?cid=0340
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), National Center on Birth Defects and Developmental Disabilities, Division of Human Development and Disability. Disability and Health Data System (DHDS), Florida. Category: general health conditions. Retrieved December 3, 2019, from:https://dhds.cdc.gov/CR?ReportType=Locations&LocationId=12&StratCatId=&YearId=&CompareColumns=12&ShowCategoryIds=GENHLTH&SearchString=&ShowReportOptions=false&CategoryFilterId=&StratFilterId=&ShowCI=true&ShowWN=true&HideMissingDataRows=false
- Benjamin, E. J., et al., 2019. "E. American Heart Association Council on, C. Prevention Statistics, S. Stroke Statistics." Heart disease and stroke statistics-2019 update: a report from the American Heart association, Circulation 139.10. Retreived February 7, 2020, from: https://professional.heart.org/idc/groups/ahamah-public/@wcm/@sop/@smd/documents/downloadable/ucm_503396.pdf