It's a New Day in Public Health.
The Florida Department of Health works to protect, promote & improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county & community efforts.
- What is Heart Disease?
- Risk Factors
- Warning Signs
- Protect Against Heart Disease
- Resources for Health Care Settings
- Resources for Community Organizations
- Resources for Community Health Workers
- Resources for Schools, Colleges, and Universities
- Resources for Worksites
- Heart Health+
- World Heart Day 2019
Resources for Community Health Workers
Community Health Worker Certification
The Florida Certification Board (FCB) offers a Certified Community Health Worker (CCHW) designation for “front-line health workers who, by virtue of their trusted status in the community, serve as a liaison, link and intermediary between health services and the community to facilitate access to services and improve the quality and cultural competence of service delivery.”1
To learn more about community health workers (CHWs) in Florida, you can contact the Florida Community Health Worker Coalition (FCHWC), a nonprofit organization that works to advance the community health worker profession in the state. You can also view upcoming CHW trainings and education.
University of Florida Medication Therapy Management Support Trainings for Florida Community Health Workers
The Florida Department of Health (FDOH) is partnering with the University of Florida (UF) to continue the development, implementation, and evaluation of a Community Health Worker (CHW) Medication Therapy Management Support (MTMS) Program. The mission of the program is to provide medication therapy management support (MTMS) training for CHWs and other community health extenders in Florida and coach them to partner with pharmacists in providing MTMS for high blood pressure and diabetic patients of the state. This practice improvement project builds on recently completed CHW projects, which found that the CHW-pharmacist collaboration leads to improved adherence to antihypertensive medications and improved blood pressure control.
Additional online trainings include:
- The American Heart Association’s training, A CHW Resource for Addressing Disparities in Cardiovascular Care, which is available here: https://firstname.lastname@example.org=6722263
- The Community Health Workers and Chronic Conditions Training Program, which can be found here: https://chwtraining.mcdph.org
- Florida Certification Board, 2019. Credentials. Certified community health workers (CCHW). Retrieved December 6, 2019, from: https://flcertificationboard.org/certifications/certified-community-health-worker/