Treating and Managing Lupus
What Can Trigger Flare-Ups of Lupus?
Known triggers of lupus can include ultraviolent rays from the sun and fluorescent light bulbs; infections, colds, or viral illnesses; exhaustion or emotional stress; and anything that causes physical stress to the body, such as surgery, injury, pregnancy and childbirth.
There is no known cure for lupus; however, there are ways for patients living with lupus to treat and manage symptoms. Learn about the different ways below:
- Get regularly physical activity to help ease the pain.
- Eat a variety of nutritious foods including fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Avoid smoking.
- Know your family history.
- Take medications as directed – even if you don’t feel sick.
- Limit exposure to sun – wear sunscreen.
- Get plenty of sleep.