Laser InformationElectrologists are allowed to perform laser and light-based hair removal only if they have completed the following requirements:
- Completed a 30-hour continuing education course approved by the council pursuant to Rule 64B8-52.004, Florida Administrative Code (F.A.C.). List of Florida Approved Schools: Approved 30-Hr. Laser Hair Removal CE Providers (pdf)
- Certified in the use of laser and light-based hair devices for the removal or reduction of hair by a national certification organization approved by the Electrolysis Council and the Board of Medicine, which is the Society of Clinical & Medical Hair Removal, Inc. (SCMHR). **The contact person for the CME exam is Lisa Nelson 608-443-2470.
- Are using only the laser and light-based hair removal or reduction devices upon which they have been trained; and
- Are operating under the direct supervision and responsibility of a physician properly trained in hair removal and licensed pursuant to the provisions of Chapter 458 (Medical Doctors), or 459, F.S. (osteopathic physicians). See section 458.348(3), Florida Statutes (Medical Practice Act).
- The supervising physician and the Electrologist shall develop jointly written protocols as described in Rule 64B8-56.002(4), F.A.C., and furnished to the council office prior to beginning the practice of laser hair removal. Sample protocols (pdf)
- The Electrologist must make sure they are following Rule 64B8-51.006, F.A.C., as it sets forth what is required of a licensed electrology facility where laser and light-based hair removal is performed.
This statement serves to clarify and dispel any rumors there may be concerning the requirement of the direct supervision of qualified electrologists to perform laser hair removal and reduction. The rule currently requires a physician licensed under Chapter 458 or 459 to provide direct supervision of an Electrologist certified to perform laser hair removal or reduction. This rule has been in place since the rule's creation on September 12, 2001.
Related Statutes and Rules:
- Rule 64B8-52.004, Florida Administrative Code, Requirements for Approval of Continuing Education Courses for Laser and Light-Based Hair Removal or Reduction
- Rule 64B8-51.006, Florida Administrative Code, Rule Governing Licensure and Inspection of Electrology Facilities (see (3)(g))
- Rule 64B8-56.002, Florida Administrative Code, Equipment and Devices; Protocols for Laser and Light-Based Devices
- Section 458.348(3) , Florida Statutes, (Board of Medicine) Formal supervisory relationships, standing orders, and established protocols; notice; standards.