Trauma Transport Protocol
Trauma Transport Protocols (TTP) describe the procedures used by the emergency medical services prehospital provider for dispatch of vehicles, assessment of the extent and severity of injuries of trauma patients and determination of the destination (facility) to which trauma alert patients are transported. TTP's are a legal document that should outline, as accurately as possible, the actual procedures followed by the emergency medical service provider, written within the context of section 395.4045, Florida Statutes and Chapter 64J-2, Florida Administrative Code.
When to Submit TTP's:
- Applying for initial licensure as an EMS provider.
- A change in medical directors for the EMS provider.
- A change in ownership of the EMS provider.
- A change in hospital destination for the routine transport of trauma alert patients. Any change in EMS providers or health care facilities that will impact transportation requirements.
- When the department requests a revision.
The approval period for TTPs is the same as the EMS provider's two-year licensure period, unless revisions are made to department approved TTPs during that period.
Who Does Not Submit TTPs:
- A service that provides only inter-facility services and does not respond to the scene of an injury to provide stabilization of injured patients in prehospital settings. The EMS provider needs to submit to the Bureau of EMS either a copy of the Certificate of Public Convenience and Need or a letter from the director or chief of the service stating that it is an inter-facility service only.
Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.
For more information:
Email: Roy Pippin
Florida Department of Health
Division of Emergency Preparedness and Community Support
Emergency Medical Services Program
4052 Bald Cypress Way, Bin A-22
Tallahassee, FL 32399-1738
Phone: (850) 245-4440 ext. 2752
Fax: (850) 488-9408