It's a New Day in Public Health.
The Florida Department of Health works to protect, promote & improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county & community efforts.
Individuals wishing to donate prescription drugs:
The statutory authority for this program does NOT include the donation of prescription drugs or supplies from individuals. There are organizations that allow donations from individuals, which may be identified by a search of the internet.
Florida Prescription Drug Donation Repository Program
Welcome to the Florida Prescription Drug Donation Repository Program website
The purpose of this program is to facilitate the donation of certain prescription drugs and supplies to eligible patients through the creation of repositories, where eligible organizations or facilities may make such donations. The Department is currently in the process of developing the rules required to formally implement this program. Please regularly visit the web page for updates on the program.
The Florida Prescription Drug Donation Repository Program is authorized by section 465.1902, Florida Statutes. Please see the full text of the law for additional details on the program.
The Department is in the process of promulgating rules that will guide the implementation of this program and authorize the use of program forms. Once the rules have been adopted, this website will be updated with links to the program forms, procedures and additional relevant information.
How will the program work?
There are three key components of this program: Repositories, Donors, and Patients. Each of these components include strict guidelines as to who may be eligible to participate.
The following entities will be eligible to participate as a repository:
- A health care practitioner’s office
- A pharmacy
- A hospital with a closed drug delivery system
- A nursing home facility with a closed drug delivery system
- A free clinic or nonprofit health clinic that is licensed or permitted to dispense medicinal drugs in Florida
The following entities will be eligible to donate to an established repository under this program:
- Nursing home facilities with closed drug delivery systems
- Hospices that have maintained control of a patient’s prescription drugs
- Hospitals with closed drug delivery systems
- Drug manufacturers or wholesale distributors
- Medical device manufacturers or suppliers
- Prescribers who receive prescription drugs or supplies directly from a drug manufacturer, wholesale distributor, or pharmacy
Individuals wishing to donate prescription drugs
The statutory authority for this program does not include the donation of prescription drugs or supplies from individuals. There are organizations that allow donation from individuals, which may be identified by a search of the internet.
Any patient that wishes to receive prescription drugs from this program will be required to:
- Have a family income that is below 200 percent of the federal poverty level as defined by the most recently revised poverty income guidelines published by the United States Department of Health and Human Services or be uninsured or be underinsured.
- Be a resident of Florida.
- Have a valid prescription for a donated drug.
- Complete and submit a Florida Prescription Drug Donation Program Patient Application and Dispensing form to a participating repository.
Immunity from Liability and Disciplinary Action
Any donor of prescription drugs or supplies and any participant in the program who exercises reasonable care in donating, accepting, distributing, or dispensing prescription drugs or supplies under the program is immune from civil or criminal liability and professional disciplinary action by the state for any injury, death, or loss to person or property relating to such activities.
A pharmaceutical manufacturer who exercises reasonable care is not liable for any claim or injury arising from the donation of any prescription drug or supply under this section, including, but not limited to, liability for failure to transfer or communicate product or consumer information regarding the donated prescription drug or supply, including its expiration date.
Comments and Questions
We welcome your comments and questions! Please send to:
PrescriptionDrugDonationProgram@FLHealth.gov. Please allow at least 24 hours for a response.
This program is managed by the Florida Department of Health, Division of Emergency Preparedness and Community Support, Bureau of Public Health Pharmacy.