Wishing You a Healthy Holiday Season
December 14, 2015
Dec. 14, 2015
WISHING YOU A HEALTHY HOLIDAY SEASON
Tips to make the healthy choice the easy choice this holiday season
Tallahassee, Fla.—It’s the holiday season and State Surgeon General and Secretary of Health Dr. John Armstrong wants to share a special video message of health and wellness with Florida residents and visitors. The department encourages everyone to incorporate simple, healthy choices into holiday traditions this year. It’s not too early to make New Year’s resolutions a part of your holiday routine.
“The holiday season is a wonderful time to encourage the health goals of family and friends,” said Dr. Armstrong. “We wish everyone a happy and healthy holiday and New Year.”
Holiday treats and party snacks can add up, in fact the average weight gain for adults is between one and five pounds this time of year. It often becomes a challenge to get the weight off once the holiday lights come down. Fortunately, there are several ways to reduce calories and move more.
- Try remaking high calorie dishes to use less fat. More ideas on how to swap out high calorie ingredients can be found on Eat More Weigh Less;
- Incorporate “Fresh From Florida” fruits and vegetables into your holiday spread;
- Use a smaller plate to help control portion sizes when enjoying a holiday meal;
- Drink water throughout the day instead of sugary drinks. You can save 200 or more calories by substituting water for soda; and
- Get up and move with family and friends. Try going for a walk, playing a team sport or even tossing around a football in the yard. More ways to add physical activity to your holiday plans can be found here.
There is still time to join the “Maintain, Don’t Gain!” Holiday Challenge to help you navigate your holiday feasting and seasonal celebrations. Healthiest Weight Florida, in partnership with North Carolina State University, is offering this challenge free for all Floridians. Sign up today and receive weekly tips, tricks and ideas to help maintain your weight throughout the holiday season.
About the Florida Department of Health
The department works to protect, promote and improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county and community efforts.
About Healthiest Weight Florida
Healthiest Weight Florida is a public-private collaboration bringing together state agencies, not-for-profit organizations, businesses and entire communities to help Florida's children and adults make consistent, informed choices about healthy eating and active living. To learn more about how to be active and make nutritious food choices, visit www.healthiestweightflorida.com.