It's a New Day in Public Health.
The Florida Department of Health works to protect, promote & improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county & community efforts.
Contact the Florida WIC Program
Bureau of WIC Program Services
4052 Bald Cypress Way, Bin A16
Tallahassee FL 32399
- Breastfeeding moms have to be extra careful about what they eat.
- My mother and grandmother “could not” breastfeed so I can’t either.
- Getting upset or angry spoils your milk.
- Breastfeeding hurts.
- Breastfeeding is embarassing.
- I’ll have to drink milk while I am breastfeeding.
1. Breastfeeding moms have to be extra careful about what they eat.
Breastfeeding moms can eat just about anything they like in reasonable amounts including greens, beans, garlic, onions, broccoli, and pizza. Most babies are never bothered by what mom eats. To keep themselves healthy, breastfeeding moms should eat the same good foods that they ate while they were pregnant.Top of Section
2. My mother and grandmother “could not” breastfeed so I can’t either.
The breastfeeding experiences of your mother and grandmother do not relate to your ability to breastfeed. They probably did not have the knowledge, help, and support they needed. Today, we know a lot more about how breastfeeding works and there is help available for you—just ask.Top of Section
3. Getting upset or angry spoils your milk.
Your milk is still good for your baby even if you become upset or angry.Top of Section
4. Breastfeeding hurts.
Breastfeeding should not hurt if your baby is “latched on” to your breast correctly. Have a breastfeeding educator show you how to get started.Top of Section
5. Breastfeeding is embarassing.
Breastfeeding does not have to be embarassing. You can learn to breastfeed modestly. Ask the breastfeeding educator to show you.Top of Section
6. I’ll have to drink milk while I am breastfeeding.
You do not have to drink milk to make breastmilk. You can eat other foods to get the calcium needed by your body. Ask a nutritionist for ideas.Top of Section