Medical Services Eligibility
Contact the Refugee Health Program
Refugee Health Program
4052 Bald Cypress Way, Bin A-13
Tallahassee, FL 32399-1721
The following individuals are eligible for medical services through the Refugee Health Program:
- Refugees: individuals admitted as a refugee under section 207 INA;
- Asylees: individuals granted asylum under section 208 INA;
- Cuban and Haitian entrants in accordance with requirements in 45 CFR part 401;
- Certain Amerasians from Vietnam who are admitted to the U.S. as immigrants;
- Iraqi and Afghan Special Immigrants per the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2008;
- Victims of Trafficking per the Trafficking Victims Protection Act of 2000 (TVPA); and
- Unaccompanied Refugee and Alien Minors.
- The health assessment must be initiated within 90 days of the refugee's arrival in the U.S. in order to be paid through the Refugee Health Program. Asylees’ eligibility begins on the date asylum was granted (not the arrival date). Eligibility for victims of trafficking begins on the date of their certification or letter from the Department of Health and Human Services (not the arrival date).
- Health assessments may be provided after 90 days and within 8 months of arrival, if the refugee has Medicaid or Refugee Medical Assistance and proof of Medicaid is shown at the time of services.
- Immunizations should be completed within one year from the date of arrival or date asylum was granted. In order to begin immunizations, a completed health assessment within 8 months of the refugee’s arrival date must be on file.
A copy of the I-94 card (or other document verifying immigration status) must be included in the client record. A photo of the client should also be included in the client record. Victims of trafficking will have a letter issued by the Office of Refugee Resettlement certifying eligibility for refugee services.
The Refugee Program Eligibility Guide for Service Providers is available on the Department of Children and Families website. You may view the guide at the following website: www.dcf.state.fl.us/refugee/webguides/masterguide.pdf*
For upcoming eligibility training dates or to take the online eligibility training, please visit the following website: www.dcf.state.fl.us/refugee/provtraining.shtml
*Note: This page contains materials in the Portable Document Format (PDF). The free Adobe Reader may be required to view these files.