Build an Emergency Supply Kit
Water—At least 1 gallon daily per person. You should try to store 3 to 7 days worth.
Food—Enough for 3 to 7 days worth.
- Non perishable food like canned foods
- Food for infants like baby formula and food for elderly as well
- High energy foods like protein bars with long shelf life
- Non electric can opener
- Cooking tools including means of fuel like Sterno for heating foods
- Plates and utensils
- Pet food if applicable
First Aid Kit
Suitable Clothing—seasonal, rain gear, proper shoes like boots
Flashlights—with batteries or able to be charged by hand crank
Radio—with batteries or able to be charged by hand crank and include NOAA weather radio
Pet Care Items
Disaster Supply Tools—utility knife, whistle, pencil, map compass, thread, needles, signal flare, tape, shut—off wrench, eyewear, thermal blankets
Important Items—to be stored in a waterproof container
- Medical records, bank account numbers, social security card, insurance information, telephone of important numbers, cash in case bank ATMs are down, cell phone charger
Your family disaster kit should be placed in an easily accessible place where each family member can reach it and all foodstuffs should be replaced on a regular basis according to it's shelf—life.