Biomedical Research Advisory Council
Welcome to the Biomedical Research Advisory Council Website
The Biomedical Research Advisory Council, is established in F.S. 215.5602, and advises the State Surgeon General as to the direction and scope of the James and Esther King Biomedical Research Program and the Bankhead-Coley Cancer Research Program.
The responsibilities of the council include:
- Providing advice on program priorities and emphases.
- Providing advice on the overall program budget.
- Participating in periodic program evaluation.
- Assisting in the development of guidelines to ensure fairness, neutrality, and adherence to the principles of merit and quality in the conduct of the program.
- Assisting in the development of appropriate linkages to nonacademic entities, such as voluntary organizations, health care delivery institutions, industry, government agencies, and public officials.
- Developing criteria and standards for the award of research grants.
- Developing guidelines relating to solicitation, review, and award of research grants and fellowships, to ensure an impartial, high-quality peer review system.
- Reviewing reports of peer review panels and making recommendations for research grants and fellowships.
- Developing and providing oversight regarding mechanisms for the dissemination of research results.