Emergency Medical Services for Children
We support the care that saves children’s lives – WE ARE EMSC.
Florida EMS for Children (EMSC) is a nationally funded grant program working to improve health care in the field for children. It is our goal to ensure that pediatric patients receive the best care possible in the prehospital setting. Often viewed as “little adults,” children actually have very different and specific medical needs.
Emergency Medical Services for Children (EMSC)
The EMSC has been active in the Florida EMS system for several years, with the help of a group of dedicated EMS and pediatric health care providers.The EMSC Advisory Committee was established in section 401.245(5), Florida Statutes, to advise the Department of Health on matters concerning preventative, pre-hospital, hospital, rehabilitative, and other post medical care for children. Members are appointed by the State Surgeon General and Secretary and serve two–year terms. The committee meets quarterly in conjunction with the EMS Advisory Council and constitutent group meetings.
EMSC Conference Calls
Conference calls are on the third Wednesday of every month at 10:00 a.m. est. For conference call information, please contact by phone at (850) 245-4440, extension 2686.
April 19, 2017
Jacksonville Omni Hotel
245 Water Street
Jacksonville, FL 32202
Free Pediatric/Neonatal Continuing Education Programs
In 2009, the Florida EMSC Section began a pilot project focused on improving and enhancing pediatric/neonatal skill sets in the EMS and prehospital communities. Since the beginning of the project, our program has sponsored over 50 continuing education programs throughout the state with over 1,500 participants. The section continues to facilitate pediatric education through the provision of continuing education courses and education–related resources and supplies.
The EMSC Sponsored Pediatric/Neonatal Education Programs:
- "Friday Night Lights Out: Pediatric Concussion Syndrome"- designed to provide participants information on the prevalence of repetitive concussions, assessment tools for "return to play" criteria and concussion prevention in pediatric patients. Three–hour continuing education (CE) program as approved by your medical director.
- “Pediatric Transport Safety”- developed by a current Florida EMSC Advisory Committee member, and focuses on the proper transportation of pediatric patients in the ambulance. Two-hour CE program (one hour of lecture, one hour hands–on) as approved by your medical director. Train-the-trainer certification is also available. Participating agencies will receive two restraint systems for pediatric transportation, while supplies last.
- Pediatric/Neonatal Review—customized for your agency.
- Other Programs:
- Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP)
- Sugar and SafeCare, Temperature, Airway, Blood Pressure, Lab Work, Emotional Support (STABLE)
- Pediatric International Trauma Life Support (PITLS)
- Pediatric Education for Pre-hospital Professionals (PEPP)
Funding for these programs and resources is provided by our federal partnership grant from the Health Resources and Services Administration's Maternal and Child Health Bureau.
Under Florida law, email addresses are public records. If you do not want your email address released in response to a public records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.
To request a FREE pediatric/neonatal education program at your agency/organization, please contact by phone at (850) 245-4440, extension 2686.
National Pediatric Readiness Project
The National Pediatric Readiness Project is a multi-phase quality improvement initiative to ensure that all U.S. emergency departments (EDs) have the essential guidelines and resources in place to provide effective emergency care to children. The first phase of this project was a national assessment of EDs' readiness to care for children.
To find out where Florida ranked in the nation-wide assessment, click assessment.
- Strategic Planning Oversight Team (SPOT)
- Pedestrian/Bicycle Safety Coalition
- Motorcycle Safety Coalition
- Southeast Regional Pediatric Disaster Response Network
- Florida Children's Disaster Preparedness Coalition