Using E-FORCSE to Meet Meaningful Use Stage 2 Specialized Registry Objectives
The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 aims to accelerate the adoption of health information technology through the federal incentive program commonly referred to as Meaningful Use (MU). MU provides incentive payments to eligible professionals (EP) and eligible hospitals (EH) that are able to demonstrate the “meaningful use” of electronic health records technology. EPs and EHs must demonstrate MU through a number of objectives. A small portion of those objectives are related to reporting data to public health agencies.
On January 1, 2016, Florida’s Prescription Drug Monitoring Program, E-FORCSE, maintained by the Florida Department of Health (FDOH) identified itself as a specialized registry. EPs can meet the MU Stage 2 Specialized Registry objective by complying with one of the following:
- EPs may submit patient specific controlled substance dispensing information electronically to E-FORCSE; or
- EPs may electronically retrieve patient specific controlled substance dispensing information from E-FORCSE.
There are no certification and standards criteria specified in the Office of National Coordinator for Health Information Technology 2014 Edition Electronic Health Record (EHR) Technology Certification Criteria corresponding to this particular objective.1 Therefore, to meet this objective, the EPs would need to: (1) electronically submit dispensing data using the American Society for Automation in Pharmacy (ASAP version 4.2) standards, specifications, and vocabularies required by E-FORCSE; or (2) register with E-FORCSE and retrieve patient specific controlled substance dispensing information.
Registration of Intent
- To register your intent to submit data to E-FORCSE, create your uploader account by following the instructions in the "Creating Your Account" section beginning on page 10 of the Dispenser's Implementation Guide. Print the New Account Setup Confirmation Screen in step 10 as proof of registration.
- To register your intent to retrievedata from E-FORCSE, follow the instructions in the Practitioner Quick Reference Guide on Registration. Print the Registration Receipt you receive after step 9 as proof of registration.
Testing and Validation
Once you receive your user name and password, you are ready to move into production. Please refer to the following training guides for information on how to utilize E-FORCSE to submit or retrieve data.
- Submit data: Dispenser's Implementation Guide
- Retrieve data: Training Guide for Florida Practitioners and Pharmacists
- Retrieve data: Practitioner Quick Reference Guide on Requesting a Patient Advisory Report
The following quick reference guides have been developed to help EPs get started and prepared for MU Stage 2 specialized registry objective attestation.
For more information regarding Meaningful Use, please visit the following websites: