Testing and Counseling
Testing and Counseling
Florida continues to lead the nation in the number of HIV tests conducted at over 1,500 publicly funded and registered sites. During 2013, the Counseling, Testing and Linkage (CTL) data team recorded over 428,000 HIV screening tests with about 60% of these tests conducted at sites using rapid test technologies. Testing for HIV is a powerful tool in our prevention arsenal. We know that when a person knows their HIV status they will apply prevention measures with their partners and will enter into medical care and tend to remain in care. In 2012, Florida’s state laboratories and other private labs changed HIV testing procedures for blood and plasma specimens by upgrading to a 4th generation screening test and replaced Western blot with a newer confirmatory test. Also, a cutting edge test that looks for HIV itself, not the antibodies, was added to the procedure for samples that are positive for the 4th generation but not positive on the new confirmatory test. This new system allows us to find those who have very early HIV infection and gives us the incredible chance to get them into care sooner rather than later and ultimately stop dozens of new HIV infections from happening. In 2014, the HIV Counseling and Testing Team began putting our HIV testing and prevention counselor training called HIV/AIDS 500/501 on-line for the general public to access. The HIV/AIDS 500 course is available as a TRAINFlorida on-line course at FDOH HIV/AIDS 500 The Basics of HIV/AIDS Counseling, Testing and Linkage. Soon, all but the role-play piece of the HIV/AIDS 501 will also be available. The HIV Counseling and Testing Team is public health in motion. Thanks to our numerous test sites, skilled prevention counselors, and progressive laboratory we will continue to move Florida into the next generation and slow this epidemic.
Acrobat reader* please note all files open in a new window and are less than 5mb in size.
- Confidential/Anonymous HIV Testing Consent Form
- DH 3161 Statement of Objection to HIV/STD Testing for Pregnant
DH 3161 (Spanish)
DH 3161 (Creole)
- Forms Instruction Guide
- Model Protocol for HIV Counseling and Testing in Healthcare Settings (H.C. Settings)
- Model Protocol for HIV Counseling and Testing in Non-Healthcare Settings (Non H.C. Settings)
(the following pdf's open in a new window and are under 5mb in size)
- Webinar: Updates to Rule 64D-2, F.A.C.; Technical Assistance Guideline 345-9-13 (formerly TA-9); and Model Protocols for HIV Testing
- HIV 500 on-line at FDOH HIV/AIDS 500 The Basics of HIV/AIDS Counseling, Testing and Linkage
- HIV 500/501 Course Schedule
- Counseling Testing and Linkage-EIC Map Text Version
- 2014 HIV CTL Client Satisfaction Survey
- 2012 HIV CTL Client Satisfaction Survey
- 2010 HIV CTL Client Satisfaction Survey
- The OraQuick in-home HIV test kit has received approval from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and will be available from retailers throughout Florida beginning in October.