It's a New Day in Public Health.
The Florida Department of Health works to protect, promote & improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county & community efforts.
Antibiotic stewardship has several proven benefits that include protecting patients from unintended consequences, improving treatment of infections, and helping combat antibiotic resistance. These data reflect programs in acute care hospital settings.
CDC’s Core Elements of Antibiotic Stewardship offer providers and facilities a set of key principles to guide efforts to improve antibiotic use and, therefore, advance patient safety and improve outcomes. CDC recognizes that there is no “one size fits all” approach to optimize antibiotic use for all settings.
Core Elements for Antibiotic Stewardship in Nursing Homes
- Leadership commitment: Demonstrate support and commitment to safe and appropriate antibiotic use in your facility
- Accountability: Identify physician, nursing and pharmacy leads responsible for promoting and overseeing antibiotic stewardship activities in your facility
- Drug expertise: Establish access to consultant pharmacists or other individuals with experience or training in antibiotic stewardship for your facility
- Action: Implement at least one policy or practice to improve antibiotic use
- Tracking: Monitor at least one process measure of antibiotic use and at least one outcome from antibiotic use in your facility
- Reporting: Provide regular feedback on antibiotic use and resistance to prescribing clinicians, nursing staff and other relevant staff
- Education: Provide resources to clinicians, nursing staff, residents and families about antibiotic resistance and opportunities for improving antibiotic use
CDC Antibiotic Stewardship Resources
- The Core Elements of Hospital Antibiotic Stewardship
- Implementation of Antibiotic Stewardship Core Elements at Small and Critical Access Hospitals
- The Core Elements of Outpatient Antibiotic Stewardship
- The Core Elements of Antibiotic Stewardship for Nursing Homes
- The Core Elements of Human Antibiotic Stewardship Programs in Resource-Limiting Settings