Questions about drywall?
Hazard Assessment of Copper Corrosion and Air-Conditioner Evaporator Coil Failures Possibly Associated with Imported Drywall.
Note: This page contains materials in the Portable Document Format (PDF). The free Adobe Reader may be required to view these files.
The external links are being provided as a convenience and for informational purposes only; they do not constitute an endorsement or an approval by the Florida Department of Health of any of the products, services or opinions of the corporation or organization or individual. The Florida Department of Health bears no responsibility for the accuracy, legality or content of the external site or for that of subsequent links. Contact the external site for answers to questions regarding its content.
--------------------------------------- Hot News --------------------------------------
Fact Sheet: Public Health Implications of Chinese-manufactured Drywall
Health Consultation: Possible Health Implications From Exposure to Sulfur Gases Emited From Chinese-Manufactured Drywall
U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission -09/15/2011- Remediation Guidance for Homes with Corrosion from Problem Drywall as of September 15, 2011
Visit or call the Drywall Information Center
Case Definition and Other Helpful Information
Case Definition - First determine if your home fits the investigation criteria (updated 12/18/2009)
Self Assessment Guide - Developed for people to determine if their home is showing signs of corrosion and odors found to be present when Chinese Drywall has been used during construction or renovations
112th Congress of the United States of America H.R. 4212 - "Drywall Safety Act of 2012" signed by the President - 01/14/2013
U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission -09/15/2011- CPSC Completes Final Studies to Help Affected Homeowners Remediate Problem Drywall
CPSC/HUD Interim Guidance - Identification of Homes with Corrosion from Problem Drywall - January 28, 2010 - http://www.cpsc.gov/info/drywall/InterimIDGuidance012810.pdf
Revision 1 to Interim Guidance - Identification of Homes with Corrosion from Problem Drywall, - August 27, 2010 (60KB PDF)- Federal Interagency Task Force on Problem Drywall - (staff from the US Consumer Product Safety Commission and US Department of Housing and Urban Development)
US CPSC Staff Summary of Contractor's Evaluation of Homes Reported to be Constructed with Domestic Drywall (72 KB PDF) - 4/15/2011 - Summary of identification guidelines.
White Paper on Corrosive Drywall (inspection and remediation) - October 10, 2010 - American Industrial Hygiene Association.
Federal Interagency Task Force (40 KB PDF) - 3/18/2011 - Summary of Identification Guidance for Homes with Corrosion.
US Consumer Product Safety Commission and Housing and Urban Development (16 K PDF) - 3/18/2011 - Summary of Identification and Remediation Guidance for Homes with Corrosion From Problem Drywall.
US Consumer Product Safety Commission and Housing and Urban Development (24 K PDF) - 3/18/2011 - Remediation Guidance for Homes with Corrosion From Problem Drywall.
US Consumer Product Safety Commission (5.5 KB PDF) - 3/2011 - Report on Study of Electrical Component Corrosion Related to Problem Drywall.
Answers to Frequently Asked Questions
Timeline - A chronology of events related to issues involving imported drywall
MAPS - Reported drywall cases to date (information subject to change - Map image below opens a larger 528 KB PDF version in a new window)
- File a Consumer Complaint
- IRS Provides Relief for Homeowners with Corrosive Drywall - Press Release, September 30, 2010 - United States Internal Revenue Services
- Revenue Procedure 2010-36 (20 KB PDF) enables affected taxpayers to treat damages from corrosive drywall as a casualty loss and provides a "safe harbor" formula for determining the amount of the loss - United States Internal Revenue Services
- IRS tax relief, July 2, 2009, Internal Revenue Service ( < 1MB PDF)
- Senator Bill Nelson wrote a letter to the Florida Surgeon General (450 KB PDF opens in new window), Dr. Ana Viamonte-Ros, to indicate that Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac are directing mortgage companies to provide a forbearance of up to six months for homeowners affected by corrosive drywall. To know if your loan is owned or guaranteed by Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac visit: http://www.fanniemae.com/loanlookup/ or https://ww3.freddiemac.com/corporate/
- HUD to Assist Homeowners Facing Problem Drywall - December 22, 2009, U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development http://portal.hud.gov/portal/page/portal/HUD/press/press_releases_media_advisories/2009/HUDNo.09-237
- Knauf Plasterboard (Tianjin) remediation settlement (4.9 MB PDF) - December, 2010
- Florida Division of Emergency Management - Memorandum: Interim Emergency Management Director David Halstead To FEMA Regional Administrator Phillip May Regarding Chinese Drywall March 10, 2010
- Guide for health care providers, Updated March 3, 2011, US Centers for Disease Control
Letters and Other Helpful Information
- Proceedings from the Technical Symposium on Corrosive Imported Drywall - http://www.drywallsymposium.com/
- Federal Trade Commission, Press Release, December 11, 2009 - http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2009/12/chinesedrywall.shtm
- Beware of Bogus Tests, Inspections, and Fixes for Damaged Drywall - Federal Trade Commission, Consumer Alert, December 2009 - http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/alerts/alt164.shtm
Defective Imported Drywall: Don't Get Nailed by Bogus Tests and Treatments
- Con Artist Consumer Advisory - April 23, 2009, Florida Attorney Genera
- lCPSC/HUD Press Release, HUD and CPSC Issue Guidance on Identifying Problem Drywall in Homes - January 28, 2010 - http://www.cpsc.gov/info/drywall/hud10020.html
- CPSC Corrosive Drywall Press Release - 1/31/2011 - CDC Review Finds No Link Between Problem Drywall and 11 Reported Deaths
Call your local County Health Department Environmental Health staff, or the Department of Health at 850-245-4288.