Questions about drywall?
Hazard Assessment of Copper Corrosion and Air-Conditioner Evaporator Coil Failures Possibly Associated with Imported Drywall.
Note: This page contains materials in the Portable Document Format (PDF). The free Adobe Reader may be required to view these files.
The external links are being provided as a convenience and for informational purposes only; they do not constitute an endorsement or an approval by the Florida Department of Health of any of the products, services or opinions of the corporation or organization or individual. The Florida Department of Health bears no responsibility for the accuracy, legality or content of the external site or for that of subsequent links. Contact the external site for answers to questions regarding its content.
Visit or call the Drywall Information Center
Case Definition and Other Helpful Information
Case Definition: First determine if your home fits the investigation criteria (updated 12/18/2009)
Self Assessment Guide - Developed for people to determine if their home is showing signs of corrosion and odors found to be present when Chinese Drywall has been used during construction or renovations
112th Congress of the United States of America H.R. 4212 - " Drywall Safety Act of 2012" signed by the President - 01/14/2013
U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission -09/15/2011- CPSC Completes Final Studies to Help Affected Homeowners Remediate Problem Drywall
Remediation Guidance for Homes with Corrosion from Problem Drywall (32.0 KB PDF) – March 15, 2013 – Consumer Product Safety Commission, US Department of Housing and Urban Development
Summary of Identification Guidance for Homes with Corrosion from Problem Drywall – March 18, 2011 – Consumer Product Safety Commission, US Department of Housing and Urban Development
White Paper on Corrosive Drywall (148 KB PDF) (inspection and remediation) – October 10, 2010 - American Industrial Hygiene Association
Guidance Document: Assessment and Remediation of Corrosive Drywall – October 30, 2013 – American Industrial Hygiene Association
US Consumer Product Safety Commission (5.5 KB PDF) - 3/2011 - Report on Study of Electrical Component Corrosion Related to Problem Drywall
CDC/ATSDR's Response to Problem Drywall - US Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry
Fact Sheet: Public Health Implications of Chinese-manufactured Drywall – May 2, 2014 – US Department of Health and Human Services, Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry.
Health Consultation: Possible Health Implications From Exposure to Sulfur Gases Emitted From Chinese-Manufactured Drywall – May 2, 2014 – US Department of Health and Human Services, Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry
Answers to Frequently Asked Questions
Timeline - A chronology of events related to issues involving imported drywall
MAPS - Reported drywall cases to date (information subject to change - Map image below opens a larger 528 KB PDF version in a new window)
- File a Consumer Complaint
- Internal Revenue Bulletin: 2010-42 and Revenue Procedure 2010-36 (20 KB PDF) for individual who pays to repair damage to his or her personal residence or household appliances that results from corrosive drywall – October 18, 2010 – US Internal Revenue Service
- IRS News - Corrosive Drywall Settlement Payments: Q and A on How to Report Them on Tax Returns – US Internal Revenue Service
- IRS tax relief, July 2, 2009, Internal Revenue Service ( < 1MB PDF)
- Senator Bill Nelson wrote a letter to the Florida Surgeon General (450 KB PDF opens in new window), Dr. Ana Viamonte-Ros, to indicate that Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac are directing mortgage companies to provide a forbearance of up to six months for homeowners affected by corrosive drywall. To know if your loan is owned or guaranteed by Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac visit: FannieMae or FreddieMac
- HUD to Assist Homeowners Facing Problem Drywall - December 22, 2009, U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
- Knauf Plasterboard (Tianjin) remediation settlement (4.9 MB PDF) - December, 2010
- Florida Division of Emergency Management - Memorandum: Interim Emergency Management Director David Halstead To FEMA Regional Administrator Phillip May Regarding Chinese Drywall March 10, 2010
- Imported Drywall and Health – A Guide for Health Care Providers, US Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry
- Recommendations Related to Health Effects from Chinese Drywall Revised (75 KB PDF), September 2014 - Pediatric Environmental Health Specialty Units
- Recommendations Related to Pregnancy and Developmental Outcomes from Chinese Drywall (61 KB PDF), September 2014 - Pediatric Environmental Health Specialty Units
- Recommendations for the General Public Related to Health Effects from Chinese Drywall (75 KB PDF), September 2014 - Pediatric Environmental Health Specialty Units
Letters and Other Helpful Information
- Proceedings of the Technical Symposium on Corrosive Drywall, November 5-6, 2009 – Florida Department of Health, University of Florida, University of South Florida
- Beware of Bogus Tests, Inspection, and Fixes for Damaged Drywall, December 11, 2009 - US Federal Trade Commission
- Test for Defective Drywall, US Federal Trade Commission
- Consumer Protection - How to Protect Yourself from Chinese Drywall Scams, Florida Office of the Attorney General
- Summary of State Health Department Reviews of Deaths Reported and Investigated by the Consumer Product Safety Commission Related to Exposure to Imported Drywall, January 3, 2011 – US Department of Health & Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- CPSC Corrosive Drywall Press Release - 1/31/2011 - CDC Review Finds No Link Between Problem Drywall and 11 Reported Deaths
Call your local County Health Department Environmental Health staff, or the Department of Health at 850-245-4288.