Skip Global navigation and goto content

It's a New Day in Public Health.

The Florida Department of Health works to protect, promote & improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county & community efforts.

Skip MegaMenu and goto content

Initial Application Process for CEHP

Contact the Florida Department of Health

Onsite Sewage System Display

To qualify to become a Certified Environmental Health Professional:

  • Applicants must have graduated from an accredited 4-year college or university with a degree or major coursework in public health, environmental science, environmental health, or a physical or biological science.  
  • If the applicant graduated from a non-accredited university outside of the United States (U.S), an original unopened evaluation from a third-party evaluation service, such as but not limited to, Josef Silney & Associates or World Education Services, must be submitted in lieu of the transcripts. The evaluation shall indicate if the bachelor’s degree is the equivalent of a bachelor’s degree earned at an accredited institution of higher education in the U.S. and list the courses, including the number of credit hours for each

Major coursework must have at least 30 semester hours or 40 quarter hours of  coursework in science.  A review of the applicant's official transcripts will determine if the required hours of coursework have been met. **Before submitting an application, forward a copy of your transcript for review  to determine if you are eligible to apply for CEHP.**  For more information on educational qualifications, please refer to Rule 64E-18.003, Florida Administrative Code.

Food Safety stamped over photo of vegetables

What to Submit:

  • Copy of Official College/University Transcripts (sealed/unopened)
    • Secure electronic transcripts sent directly from the transcript company or college are also accepted. They must be sent via email directly from the transcript company to the Professional Certification inbox at:
    • If your college or university does not participate in the submitting secure electronic transcripts, please have your college or university mail your official transcripts mailed to the address below:

      Department of Health, Facility Programs Section
      4052 Bald Cypress Way, Bin A08
      Tallahassee, Florida 32399-1710
      Attention: Environmental Health Professional Certification  
  • Completed application form DH 4100 “Application for Environmental Health Professional Certification.”
  • Certificate of Completion from TRAIN Course #1070571 FDOH Environmental Health Monthly Training: Facilities -  An Informational Guide for Certified Environmental Health Professionals, the Missing Piece.”
    • Training may be accessed at: Once there, simply create an account and type the course number in the navigational pane. Be sure to select "Contact Hours" when prompted as this will allow you to access the certificate of completion for the course.  Once you complete the training, please provide me the certificate of completion.
  • Completion of precertification FDA ORAU prerequisite courses. (Needed for Food Protection Only)
    • The precertification coursework for Food Protection is located at the FDA ORAU website and is free of charge to government employees using their active government issued email address.  Using a non-governmental email address will incur fees associated with the ORAU coursework.
    • Only the courses listed at the end of the instruction document must be completed.  The ORAU registration instruction document may be accessed using the following link:  ORAU Registration Instructions & Course Listing
    • In addition to the ORAU training, a list of references and sample questions are available on the Internet. Here is a link to those references and sample questions: ORAU List of References and Sample Questions
  • Fees: The fee for the application and exam for one primary program area is $25 and the fee for the certification in the primary program is $25. Both fees are due at the time of initial application for a total of $50. In addition, applicants seeking to take the exam for both primary program areas (OSTDS and Food) shall submit an additional $10, for  the second certification exam area and the applicable certificate fee.
    • The certification fee is prorated when submitted during the second half of the two-year cycle (Example two-year cycle: October 1, 2019 through September 30, 2021).   Please contact the Department prior to submitting your application, to determine where you are in of the two-year cycle.

**For more information, visit the CEHP Information Site.**

Registered Sanitarians

Onsite Sewage System DisplayNOTE: Persons holding an active Registered Sanitarian (RS) or Registered Environmental Health Specialist (REHS) credential issued through the National Environmental Health Association (NEHA) or theFlorida Environmental Health Association (FEHA), you may apply for certification through reciprocity.  Onsite Sewage System Display

Simply submit a copy of the RS or REHS credential with the application. Section 381.0101(5), Florida Statutes, prescribes specific exemptions.  Persons who do not have an RS, REHS, or are not listed in the exemption language of the statute must apply for certification through examination