Council of Licensed Midwifery
Continuing Education (CE) Requirements
20 Hours Total are Required for Midwife
|Required Subject Area||Required Number of Hours||Important Information|
|General Hours||16||Must be clinically related|
|Laws and Rules||1||Must govern the midwifery practice act|
|Domestic Violence||2||Required every third biennium – These hours are in addition to the required 20 hours. The biennium you complete Domestic Violence you are required to have a total of 22 hours|
CE Requirements for First Time Renewal
- Midwives renewing a license for the first time and were licensed between January 1, 2014 and December 31, 2014 are required to complete the 20 hours as described above.
- Midwives renewing a license for the first time and were licensed between January 1, 2015 and July 31, 2015 are only required to complete a 2 hour course relating to the prevention of medical errors.
Board Rule Approved Providers
- American College of Nurse Midwives, Midwives Alliance of North America, Public Health Service, American Red Cross, AMA or AOA Cat I Programs, American Psychological Association (APA), American Heart Association, American Cancer Society, National Safety Council; or
- Courses that have been approved by the Board of Nursing, Medicine, Osteopathic Medicine, Pharmacy, Psychology, Massage Therapy, Acunpuncture, Dietetic and Nutrition Council and the Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling as it pertains to the practice of Midwifery.
Other Methods of Obtaining Continuing Education per Biennium
- Five (5) of the clinical hours per biennium may be done by videocassette courses or pro bono services. Approval from the Board must be obtained in advance.
- A Florida licensed midwife who resides in another state may obtain the continuing education units required for license renewal from programs approved by the state agencies, which regulate licensure of health care professionals in that state providing such programs have clinical relevance to the practice of midwifery and meet the requirements of 64B24-6, F.A.C.
- Presenters of programs may receive up to three (3) hours of credit, per biennium, as program participants. The presenters must have developed the program, been in attendance for the entire program and received documentation of completion from the approved provider.
The Department of Health will now verify a practitioners continuing education records in the electronic tracking system at the time of license renewal. Please visit www.CEatRenewal.com for more information. For information on continuing education requirements please review Rule 64B24-6,F.A.C.