It's a New Day in Public Health.
The Florida Department of Health works to protect, promote & improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county & community efforts.
Take Part in Wear Your Walking or Running Shoes To Work Day
January 21, 2016
Jan. 21, 2016
Take Part in "Wear Your Walking or Running Shoes To Work Day"
Tallahassee, Fla. - As part of Healthy Weight Week, Florida Health invites you to join us in “Wear Your Walking or Running Shoes to Work Day” on Friday, Jan. 22. State Surgeon General and Secretary of Health Dr. John Armstrong is encouraging Florida residents to incorporate physical activity into your work day and to encourage co-workers to do the same. We’re calling for all state agencies and employers to ask employees to wear their sneakers and get active.
“I ask that all employers join us this Friday in pledging to add physical activity to the work day,” said State Surgeon General and Secretary of Health Dr. John Armstrong. “It is vital to create a workplace environment where employees embrace healthy habits.”
Increasing your daily steps during the work day can be accomplished. You can:
- Host a walking meeting where employees walk and discuss agenda items;
- Take a walk around your building with co-workers during your work break;
- Choose to take the stairs; or
- Create a walking or running club to encourage employees to meet up before and after work or while on lunch breaks.
Physical activity is important for your overall health. It can help you:
- Achieve and maintain a healthy weight;
- Lower your risk of cardiovascular disease, Type 2 diabetes and some cancers;
- Strengthen your bones and muscles;
- Improve your mental health, mood and ability to do daily activities;
- Reduce the number of sick days taken off of work; and
- Increase your chances of living longer.
In an effort to keep healthy habits in mind, Healthiest Weight Florida created Small Steps to Living Healthy, an email-based program that allows Floridians to sign up for weekly tips delivered directly to their inbox.
It is also a good time to start the “60-Days to Better Health Challenge” by using the downloadable tool. The tool allows you to track daily progress as you add healthy habits into your life.
Use hashtag “#FLWalkAndWork” to show us how you’re incorporating physical activity during the workday.
Healthiest Weight Florida is a public-private collaboration bringing together state agencies, not-for-profit organizations, businesses and entire communities to help Florida's children and adults make consistent, informed choices about healthy eating and active living. To learn more about how to be active and make nutritious food choices, visit www.healthiestweightflorida.com.
About the Florida Department of Health
The department works to protect, promote and improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county and community efforts.