It's a New Day in Public Health.
The Florida Department of Health works to protect, promote & improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county & community efforts.
- Cancer Center of Excellence Designation
- Research Excellence Initiative
- Florida Health Grand Rounds
- Zika Research Symposium
- National Cancer Institute
- Advisory Boards and Councils
- 2019 James and Esther King Biomedical Research Grant Symposium
- Academy of Research Excellence Class 4
- Research Excellence Initiative Class 5
Florida Health Grand Rounds
Florida Health Grand Rounds
The Florida Health Grand Rounds is a monthly webinar presentation given by a researcher from one of Florida’s colleges or universities and hosted by the Florida Department of Health. The topics have a broad focus, touching on emerging, innovative, and cross-cutting areas of public health. Florida Health Grand Rounds provides an opportunity for Florida researchers to highlight and share their work with department staff, leading to a more efficient transition into public health practice. Department staff as well as researchers and staff from Florida’s colleges and universities are invited to attend.
- Upcoming Presentation Schedule
- Past Presentations
If you have any topic or speaker suggestions, please email FLHealthGrandRounds@flhealth.gov
Seminars take place the second Tuesday of each month beginning at 10am EST. Please reference schedule below.
Nursing CE credit (1hr) is available upon completion of the seminar evaluation survey when submitted within two weeks of the seminar. Please email FLHealthGrandRounds@flhealth.gov for more information about receiving CE credit.
- Apr. 13, 2021 |The Importance of Dental Health and the Development of Alzheimer’s Disease | Lakshmyya Kesvalu, BVSc, MSc, SCC – University of Florida
- May 11, 2021 |COVID19: a New Era in Global and One Health | Christian Bréchot MD, PhD – University of South Florida
- Sept. 14, 2021 | Childhood Cancer | Tamarah Westmoreland MD, PhD - Nemours Children’s Hospital
- Oct. 12, 2021 | Educational Intervention | Jason Anthony PhD, EDS, University of South Florida – Rightpath Research and Innovation Center
- Nov. 9, 2021 | Effects of Inhaled Nicotine | Michael Campos MD – University of Miami School of Medicine
- Dec. 14, 2021 | HIV/AIDS Awareness | Robert Cook MD, MPH – University of Florida
Presentation slidesets are available for download by clicking on the titles listed below. Presenter bios are available for download by clicking on the names below.
2021 Watch Recorded Presentations
- Feb. 9, 2021 | COVID-19 Seroprevalence Among Hillsborough County Residents | Anna Giuliano, PhD
- Mar. 9, 2021 |Overcoming Barriers to Improve Outcomes in Uninsured Patients with Diabetes | Otis W. Kirksey, PharmD, CDCES, BC-ADM – The Neighborhood Medical Center
2020 Watch Recorded Presentations
- Feb. 11, 2020 |The Florida Cancer Plan | Christopher Cogle, MD
- Sept. 15 , 2020 | Precision Public Health Approaches to Reduce Disparities in Memory Disorder Screening in Rural Minority Communities | Linda Cottler, PhD, MPH, FACE and Catherine L. Striley, PhD, MSW, ACSW, MPE
- Oct. 13, 2020 | It Takes a Village: Addressing COVID-19 in Underserved Populations | Olveen Carrasquillo, MD, MPH
- Nov. 10, 2020 | Weathering a Pandemic:COVID-19 and Research Activities at Mayo Clinic | Tushar Patel, MB, ChB, Rickey Carter, PhD, and DeLisa Fair Weather, PhD
- Dec. 8, 2020 | A Qualitative Exploration of Prenatal Care Barriers and Facilitators among African American/Black and White Women: A Collective Impact Initiative | Claudia Blackburn, MPH, RN, CPM and Jessica De Leon, PhD
2019 Watch Recorded Presentations
- Dec 10, 2019 | Florida's Early Hearing Detection and Intervention (EHDI) Program: Use of 2015-2016 Data to Aid in Evidence-Based Practice | Nikema Peterson, MPH
- Nov. 12, 2019 | Novel Cognitive Stress' Test Paradigms, Biomarkers, and Detection of Early Alzhimer's Disease | David Loewenstein, PhD, ABPP/CN
- Oct. 8, 2019 | Strategies to Eliminate Hepatitis C and Identify Patients at Risk of Developing Liver Cancer in Florida | Emmaunel Thomas, MD, PhD, FAASLD
- Sep. 10, 2019 | The Health Effects of Disasters on Children and Seniors: Evidence from Hurricane Katrina | Troy Quast, PhD
- May 14, 2019 | Differences in Clinical Outcomes & Quality of Life of Women Diagnosed with Cancer | Mary Ann Burg, PhD, LCSW
- Apr. 9, 2019 | Injuries and Injury Prevention for Children and Adolescents: Examples From Our Sports Injury Research Study (additional resources) | Karen Liller, PhD, CPH, FAAAS
- Mar. 12, 2019 | Environmental Toxicology Training for African American Residents and Community Leaders Using Participatory-Based Methods (paper)| Alan Becker, PhD, MPH
- Feb. 12, 2019 | Assessing the Oral Health Status of Three Indigenous Communities in Ecuador | Denice Curtis, DDS, DHSc, MPH
2018 Watch Recorded Presentations
- Dec. 11, 2018 | Research Excellence Initiative (REI) | Emma Spencer, PhD, MPH and Mwedusasa Mtenga, MPH
- Nov. 13, 2018 | The Ecology of Health | Christopher Coutts, PhD, MPH
- Oct. 9, 2018 | Biobehavioral Interventions for Smokers Living with HIV | Maria Jose Miguez, MD, PhD
- Sep. 11, 2018 | PEACEOFMND | Glenn Smith, PhD, ABPP-cn
- Aug. 14, 2018 | Guns, Schools, and Mental Health | Ryan Hall, MD, DFAPA
- Apr. 10, 2018 | Cancer Control and Prevention in Florida Firefighters | Alberto Caban-Martinez, DO, MPH and Natasha Schaefer Solle, PhD, RN
- Mar. 13, 2018 | Money, Medicine, Metrics in Population Health for Kids | Kelly Kelleher, MD, MPH
2017 Watch Recorded Presentations
- Dec. 4, 2017 | Paths to Health Equity: Overcoming Health Disparities in Florida | George Rust, MD, MPH, FAAFP, FACPM
- Nov. 14, 2017 | Childhood Obesity: The Causes and What We Can Do to Fight It | Michelle Cardel, PhD, RD
- Oct. 10, 2017 | Firing on All Ps: Adding the Power of Social Marketing to Health Promotion | Claudia Parvanta, PhD (no recording available)
- Apr. 11, 2017 | Florida and the Cancer Moonshot | Christopher R. Cogle, MD
- Mar. 14, 2017 | Is Trust-Commitment the Same as Trust-Adherence? Extending Relationship Marketing Theory into Public Health | John Riggs, DBA
- Feb. 14, 2017 | The New (Old) Public Health: How Neuroscience is Changing Child and Maternal Health | Jeffrey P. Brosco MD, PhD
2016 Watch Recorded Presentations
Disclaimer: The opinions and content expressed in the presentations are those of the presenter for educational purposes only and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the Florida Department of Health.
If you have any questions or would like to sign-up to receive Florida Health Grand Rounds announcements, please email FLHealthGrandRounds@FLHealth.gov.