Florida Health Grand Rounds
Florida Health Grand Rounds
The Florida Health Grand Rounds is a monthly webinar presentation given by a researcher from one of Florida’s colleges or universities and hosted by the Florida Department of Health. The topics have a broad focus, touching on emerging, innovative, and cross-cutting areas of public health. Florida Health Grand Rounds provides an opportunity for Florida researchers to highlight and share their work with department staff, leading to a more efficient transition into public health practice. Department staff as well as researchers and staff from Florida’s colleges and universities are invited to attend.
February Presentation - Denice Curtis, DDS, DHSc, MPHAssessing the Oral Health Status of Three Indigenous Communities in Ecuador
Dr. Denice Curtis is originally from Quito, Ecuador where she earned a Doctor of Dental Surgery degree from Central University in 1981. In 1994, she was awarded a Fulbright scholarship and obtained a masters’ degree in Public Health with honors at the University of Kansas, Department of Preventive Medicine and Public Health. In 2010 she earned a doctor degree in Health Sciences at Nova Southeastern University, Fort Lauderdale-Davie, Florida, with an emphasis on Global Health.
Dr. Curtis is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Public Health at the University of West Florida (UWF) where she teaches Biostatistics, Global Health and Internship I and II.
Previously she worked for seven years as the Chief Quality Officer for the Kansas Association for the Medically Underserved (KAMU) where she was responsible for managing and implementing several clinical quality programs, and providing direction and guidance to the clinical area. She worked for six years as an epidemiologist both for chronic and infectious diseases for the Kansas Department of Health and Environment. She coordinated and provided 18 training sessions in epidemiology and public health surveillance to the public health and medical community in Kansas.
While in Ecuador Dr. Curtis worked 10 years for UNICEF-Ecuador as a program officer, where she was responsible for writing and monitoring grants provided by donors. She also conducted community health assessments in rural communities and organized a lay health volunteer network for a bi-national project between Ecuador and Peru. Dr. Curtis is interested in conducting research in the dental and health policy fields. She was a contributor for the Quality Chapter of the Operations Manual for Health Center Oral Health Programs published by the National Network for Oral Health Access (NNOHA) and through an agreement with UWF and the University of San Francisco de Quito in Ecuador, conducted an assessment of the status of oral health in three Ecuadorean communities. She uses Bloom’s taxonomy to promote active learning and is applying Quality Matters (QM) standards to her classes to ensure her students enjoy the learning experience.
- Upcoming Presentation Schedule
- Past Presentations
Florida Health Grand Rounds will resume in February 2019. If you have any topic or speaker suggestions, please email FLHealthGrandRounds@flhealth.gov
Upcoming presentations will take place on the second Tuesday of each month beginning at 10:00 AM EST. Please see the upcoming dates below for Spring 2019.
- Feb. 12, 2019 | Denice Curtis, DDS, DHSc, MPH: Dental Health
- Mar. 12, 2019 | Alan Becker, PhD, MPH: Hazardous Waste Sites
- Apr. 9, 2019 | Karen Liller, PhD, CPH, FAAAS: Child and Adolescent Injuries and Injury Prevention
- May 14, 2019 | Mary Ann Burg, PhD, LCSW: Women's Health Following Cancer Treatment
Presentation slidesets are available for download by clicking on the titles listed below. Presenter bios are available for download by clicking on the names below.
- Dec. 11, 2018 | Research Excellence Initiative (REI) | Emma Spencer, PhD, MPH and Mwedusasa Mtenga, MPH
- Nov. 13, 2018 | The Ecology of Health | Christopher Coutts, PhD, MPH
- Oct. 9, 2018 | Biobehavioral Interventions for Smokers Living with HIV | Maria Jose Miguez, MD, PhD
- Sep. 11, 2018 | PEACEOFMND | Glenn Smith, PhD, ABPP-cn
- Aug. 14, 2018 | Guns, Schools, and Mental Health | Ryan Hall, MD, DFAPA
- Apr. 10, 2018 | Cancer Control and Prevention in Florida Firefighters | Alberto Caban-Martinez, DO, MPH and Natasha Schaefer Solle, PhD, RN
- Mar. 13, 2018 | Money, Medicine, Metrics in Population Health for Kids | Kelly Kelleher, MD, MPH
- Dec. 4, 2017 | Paths to Health Equity: Overcoming Health Disparities in Florida | George Rust, MD, MPH, FAAFP, FACPM
- Nov. 14, 2017 | Childhood Obesity: The Causes and What We Can Do to Fight It | Michelle Cardel, PhD, RD
- Oct. 10, 2017 | Firing on All Ps: Adding the Power of Social Marketing to Health Promotion | Claudia Parvanta, PhD (no recording available)
- Apr. 11, 2017 | Florida and the Cancer Moonshot | Christopher R. Cogle, MD
- Mar. 14, 2017 | Is Trust-Commitment the Same as Trust-Adherence? Extending Relationship Marketing Theory into Public Health | John Riggs, DBA
- Feb. 14, 2017 | The New (Old) Public Health: How Neuroscience is Changing Child and Maternal Health | Jeffrey P. Brosco MD, PhD
Disclaimer: The opinions and content expressed in the presentations are those of the presenter for educational purposes only and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the Florida Department of Health.
If you have any questions or would like to sign-up to receive Florida Health Grand Rounds announcements, please email FLHealthGrandRounds@FLHealth.gov.