Florida Health Grand Rounds
Florida Health Grand Rounds
The Florida Health Grand Rounds is a monthly webinar presentation given by a researcher from one of Florida’s colleges or universities and hosted by the Florida Department of Health. The topics have a broad focus, touching on emerging, innovative, and cross-cutting areas of public health. Florida Health Grand Rounds provides an opportunity for Florida researchers to highlight and share their work with department staff, leading to a more efficient transition into public health practice. Department staff as well as researchers and staff from Florida’s colleges and universities are invited to attend.
Next Presentation - February 11, 2020
Presentation by Christopher Cogle, MD
The Florida Cancer Plan
Dr. Christopher Cogle is a professor of medicine, as well as a physician-scientist with clinical and research expertise in the myelodysplastic syndromes, acute leukemias, and bone marrow failure syndromes. He uses blood & marrow transplantation as a treatment option for patients who need more than chemotherapy to eradicate disease. Dr. Cogle also runs a stem cell research laboratory where he dissects the mechanisms of bone marrow-derived blood vessels. His research has made significant impact in the fields of cancer and cardiology. Dr. Cogle’s overall goal is to design safer and more effective methods of treating diseases by tapping into the potential of hematopoietic stem and progenitor cells.
Dr. Cogle serves as the elected State Chairperson of the Florida Cancer Control and Research Advisory Council. The Council advises the Florida legislature, Florida Surgeon General, and Florida Governor with the mission of reducing the burden of cancer in Florida.
Join us to learn more about:
- Florida's needs in cancer prevention, early detection, and control.
- Florida Cancer Plan's goals, objectives, and strategies.
- Choosing your own strategies for implementing the Florida Cancer Plan.
Click Here to Register for The Florida Cancer Plan
- Upcoming Presentation Schedule
- Past Presentations
Florida Health Grand Rounds is breaking for summer and will resume presentations in the Fall. If you have any topic or speaker suggestions, please email FLHealthGrandRounds@flhealth.gov
Upcoming presentations will take place on the second Tuesday of each month beginning at 10:00 AM EST.
- Feb. 11, 2020 | The Florida Cancer Plan | Christopher Cogle, MD
- Mar. 10, 2020
- Apr. 14, 2020
- May 12, 2020
- Sept. 8, 2020
- Oct. 13, 2020
- Nov. 10, 2020
- Dec. 8, 2020
Presentation slidesets are available for download by clicking on the titles listed below. Presenter bios are available for download by clicking on the names below.
- Dec 10, 2019 | Florida's Early Hearing Detection and Intervention (EHDI) Program: Use of 2015-2016 Data to Aid in Evidence-Based Practice | Nikema Peterson, MPH
- Nov. 12, 2019 | Novel Cognitive Stress' Test Paradigms, Biomarkers, and Detection of Early Alzhimer's Disease | David Loewenstein, PhD, ABPP/CN
- Oct. 8, 2019 | Strategies to Eliminate Hepatitis C and Identify Patients at Risk of Developing Liver Cancer in Florida | Emmaunel Thomas, MD, PhD, FAASLD
- Sep. 10, 2019 | The Health Effects of Disasters on Children and Seniors: Evidence from Hurricane Katrina | Troy Quast, PhD
- May 14, 2019 | Differences in Clinical Outcomes & Quality of Life of Women Diagnosed with Cancer | Mary Ann Burg, PhD, LCSW
- Apr. 9, 2019 | Injuries and Injury Prevention for Children and Adolescents: Examples From Our Sports Injury Research Study (additional resources) | Karen Liller, PhD, CPH, FAAAS
- Mar. 12, 2019 | Environmental Toxicology Training for African American Residents and Community Leaders Using Participatory-Based Methods (paper)| Alan Becker, PhD, MPH
- Feb. 12, 2019 | Assessing the Oral Health Status of Three Indigenous Communities in Ecuador | Denice Curtis, DDS, DHSc, MPH
- Dec. 11, 2018 | Research Excellence Initiative (REI) | Emma Spencer, PhD, MPH and Mwedusasa Mtenga, MPH
- Nov. 13, 2018 | The Ecology of Health | Christopher Coutts, PhD, MPH
- Oct. 9, 2018 | Biobehavioral Interventions for Smokers Living with HIV | Maria Jose Miguez, MD, PhD
- Sep. 11, 2018 | PEACEOFMND | Glenn Smith, PhD, ABPP-cn
- Aug. 14, 2018 | Guns, Schools, and Mental Health | Ryan Hall, MD, DFAPA
- Apr. 10, 2018 | Cancer Control and Prevention in Florida Firefighters | Alberto Caban-Martinez, DO, MPH and Natasha Schaefer Solle, PhD, RN
- Mar. 13, 2018 | Money, Medicine, Metrics in Population Health for Kids | Kelly Kelleher, MD, MPH
- Dec. 4, 2017 | Paths to Health Equity: Overcoming Health Disparities in Florida | George Rust, MD, MPH, FAAFP, FACPM
- Nov. 14, 2017 | Childhood Obesity: The Causes and What We Can Do to Fight It | Michelle Cardel, PhD, RD
- Oct. 10, 2017 | Firing on All Ps: Adding the Power of Social Marketing to Health Promotion | Claudia Parvanta, PhD (no recording available)
- Apr. 11, 2017 | Florida and the Cancer Moonshot | Christopher R. Cogle, MD
- Mar. 14, 2017 | Is Trust-Commitment the Same as Trust-Adherence? Extending Relationship Marketing Theory into Public Health | John Riggs, DBA
- Feb. 14, 2017 | The New (Old) Public Health: How Neuroscience is Changing Child and Maternal Health | Jeffrey P. Brosco MD, PhD
Disclaimer: The opinions and content expressed in the presentations are those of the presenter for educational purposes only and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the Florida Department of Health.
If you have any questions or would like to sign-up to receive Florida Health Grand Rounds announcements, please email FLHealthGrandRounds@FLHealth.gov.