It's a New Day in Public Health.
The Florida Department of Health works to protect, promote & improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county & community efforts.
James and Esther King Biomedical Research Program
The Legislature has established the following goals:
- Improve the health of Floridians by researching better prevention, diagnoses, treatments, and cures for cancer, cardiovascular disease, stroke, and pulmonary disease.
- Expand the foundation of biomedical knowledge relating to the prevention, diagnosis, treatment, and cure of diseases related to tobacco use, including cancer, cardiovascular disease, stroke, and pulmonary disease.
- Improve the quality of the state's academic health centers by bringing the advances of biomedical research into the training of physicians and other health care providers.
- Increase the state's per capita funding for research by undertaking new initiatives in public health and biomedical research that will attract additional funding from outside the state.
- Stimulate economic activity in the state in areas related to biomedical research, such as the research and production of pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, and medical devices.
Researchers at any university or research institute in the state are eligible to apply.