It's a New Day in Public Health.
The Florida Department of Health works to protect, promote & improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county & community efforts.
Breast and Cervical Cancer Early Detection Program
The Florida Breast and Cervical Cancer Early Detection Program makes it easy to get the breast and cervical cancer screenings doctors recommend. The screenings are free or low cost if you meet program eligibility requirements. There are many BCCEDP sites located throughout Florida.
To see if you qualify, call your County Health Department or call the American Cancer Society National Hotline at 1-800-227-2345 to get more information on the program.
The National Breast and Cervical Cancer Early Detection Program (NBCCEDP) as administered by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) funds the Florida Breast and Cervical Cancer Early Detection Program (FBCCEDP). The NBCCEDP was created in response to the Breast and Cervical Cancer Mortality Act of 1990; Public Law 101-354. The FBCCEDP has been awarded funding by the CDC since 1994. The grant is administered through the central office and 17 lead County Health Department (CHD) regional coordinators manage service provision in the counties across the state to assure statewide access. The lead counties are: Brevard, Broward, Duval, Escambia, Gadsden, Hillsborough, Jackson, Leon, Miami-Dade, Orange, Osceola, Pasco, Pinellas, Putnam, Sarasota, Seminole and Volusia.
Services provided include:
- Breast and cervical cancer screening exams (clinical breast exams, mammograms, and Pap tests) to approximately 5 percent of the at need population as funding allows.
- Diagnostic funds are reserved for women screened through the program.
- Care coordination to all clients with abnormal exams.
- Women screened through the program and diagnosed with breast or cervical cancer are referred to the Florida Medicaid Program for eligibility determination.
- Paid breast and cervical cancer treatment through Medicaid for eligible women screened through the program.